Week 5 Assignment – Conflicting Viewpoints Essay: Part 2
When looking for information about a particular issue, how often do you try to resist biases toward your own point of view?
This assignment asks you to engage in this aspect of critical thinking.
Write a 3–4 page paper in which you:
- State your position on the topic you selected in the Week 3 assignment, Conflicting Viewpoints Essay: Part 1.
- Identify three premises (reasons) from Pros & Cons of Controversial Issues that support your position, and explain why you selected these specific reasons.
- Explain your answers to the “believing” questions about the three premises opposing your position from Pros & Cons of Controversial Issues.
- Examine at least two types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position.
- Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
- Discuss whether your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.