Throughout this course, you have explored the multi-faceted topic of sustainability and learned about the three dimensions (pillars) of sustainability: social, economic, and environmental. In this assignment you will be applying your knowledge of these concepts to a business scenario. Imagine that you are a corporate sustainability consultant who works with companies to make their businesses more sustainable. You have been tasked with creating a presentation that will persuade a potential client to make sustainable changes to their current business practices.
This project will be submitted in three stages, as described below:
- Module 7: Final Presentation Part 1: Research Checkpoint
- Module 9: Final Presentation Part 2: Recommendations
- Module 10: Discussion: Reflection on Final Presentations
This week you will complete and submit the Final Presentation Part 2: Recommendations
Identify a company (use a company you did not discuss in Part 1, submitted in Module 7) that you feel needs to implement more sustainable business practices. This will become your potential client. Provide a brief description of the company and the products/services it offers. Then develop at least three recommendations for improving sustainability in this company’s business practices. For each recommendation you should describe how it will meet all three dimensions of sustainability.
You will create a presentation using Powerpoint or Google Slides (https://www.google.com/slides/about/) to complete this assignment. You should create this presentation as if you were presenting it to the company (your potential client). Your goal is to persuade this company to take your recommendations. Include a minimum of three images within your presentation.
You will use the three examples of sustainability practices that you researched in Part 1 for your presentation. Specifically, you will use them to show your client how other businesses have successfully implemented sustainable business practices. Make sure you explain how each of your recommendations meets all three dimensions of sustainability.
- Slide 1: Title slide (include your name, the date, and course/section number)
- Slide 2: Purpose of presentation
- Slide 3: Definition of sustainable development (include the three dimensions/pillars)
- Slide 4: First example and explanation of sustainable business practice, as identified in Part 1
- Slide 5: Second example and explanation of sustainable business practice, as identified in Part 1
- Slide 6: Third example and explanation of sustainable business practice, as identified in Part 1
- Slide 7: Introduction of your selected company (description)
- Slide 8: First Recommendation and explanation for your hypothetical client
- Slide 9: Second Recommendation and explanation for your hypothetical client
- Slide 10: Third Recommendation and explanation for your hypothetical client
- Slide 11: Closing
- Slide 12: References in APA format (include the textbook, company web pages, and any other outside resource used including photographs or images)
If you want additional guidance on creating a presentation, please see the How to Design a Good PowerPoint Presentation page in this module.
Submission: Final Presentation Part 2: Recommendations as a PowerPoint or Google Slide presentation. Submit it to the assignment submission folder by Sunday at 11:59 PM CT. If you choose to use Google Slides, include a link to the slideshow and make sure to set the Share permissions to “Anyone with the link.” If you create a PowerPoint, upload the presentation file to the designated areas.
Please note that you will also need to submit your presentation, or the link to the presentation to the “Reflection on Final Presentations” Discussion in Module 10.
Module 7 paper attached
- Read: Domonsoke, C., & Dwyer, C. (2017, June 1). Trump announces U.S. withdrawal from Paris climate accord [Article]. Retrieved https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/01/530748899/watch-live-trump-announces-decision-on-paris-climate-agreement
- Read: United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. (2019). What is the Paris agreement [Article]. Retrieved from https://unfccc.int/process-and-meetings/the-paris-agreement/what-is-the-paris-agreement
- Read: Hersher, R. (2018, December 15). Nations agree on rules to put Paris climate agreement into action [Article]. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2018/12/15/677109487/nations-agree-on-rules-to-put-paris-climate-agreement-into-action
- Read: Meyer, R. (2017, March 29). How the U.S. protects the environment, from Nixon to Trump. The Atlantic. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/how-the-epa-and-us-environmental-law-works-a-civics-guide-pruitt-trump/521001/
- Read: NLU. (n.d.). How to design a good PowerPoint presentation. https://libguides.nl.edu/c.php?g=356467&p=2404710
- Watch: TED-Ed. (2017, November 21). What is the tragedy of the commons? – Nicholas Amendolare [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxC161GvMPc&list=PLXr6FLZknQc5ILVvuCnzPcxiW_VQfG_FR&index=19 (4:57)