In this unit, we learned about techniques for assessing air quality and diagnosing air quality concerns in the indoor environment. For this assignment, you will write an essay based on the following scenario.
You work for a think tank, Environmental Options, Inc., in Washington D.C. The company was hired by a bipartisan U.S. Senate committee to provide an assessment of air quality in the United States. Due to your academic experience and prior work in air pollution, your boss put you in charge of researching and writing the report.
The Senate committee specifically asked for a report having a length of at least two pages; therefore, it must be very concisely written. It can include images, but they do not count as a part of the page requirement.
The Senate committee specifically asked for the items listed below to be addressed.
- Determine whether there are enough State and Local Air Monitoring Stations (SLAMS) in the United States. If more are needed, where should they be located? If some are not needed, which ones can be removed?
- Explain what should be done about the regions in the United States that are continually in nonattainment status with the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). Is the Clean Air Act’s New Source Review permit process sufficient? Should it be changed? How?
- Explain the concept of hazard quotient in layman’s terms. How does it help us understand risk?
- Provide a general description of how an air monitoring plan is set up.
- Radon is confusing. It cannot be seen or smelled. We have been told it is a problem but are skeptical. Please explain where it comes from, how it gets into buildings, and if it is a real health problem. Decide whether we need to develop additional legislation to deal with it.
- In addition to radon, what are the other sources of indoor air pollution? Provide a guide that we can pass on to U.S. citizens about the sources of indoor air pollution and how to get rid of it.
Your essay should flow smoothly from topic to topic with thoughtful transitions. Include a strong introduction. Your essay should be at least two pages in length, not counting the references page. Support your essay with at least two peer-reviewed articles from the CSU Online Library. The articles should be from the last 10 years only. Feel free to also use the textbook, although this is not required.
Adhere to APA Style when constructing this assignment, including in-text citations and references for all sources that are used. APA formatting is not necessary.