Evaluating Inherited Diseases
This two-part assignment will allow you to evaluate the role genes play in the development of certain diseases. Additionally, you will demonstrate your ability to use electronic databases for research purposes.
First, you will select a genetic disease. You may take this opportunity to think about your individual health and health risks and consider any genetic diseases prevalent in your family. Do you have a predisposition to breast cancer, diabetes, hypertension or any other disease? You may consider your own health risks or those of other individuals such as a family member or friend. Then, address the following:
Part I: Evaluating the Role of Genes in the Development of Disease
- Provide an introduction of the disease, including the reason why this would be considered a genetic/inherited disease.
- Discuss the major signs/symptoms of the disorder.
- Research the mode of inheritance for your chosen disease and provide a thorough discussion of the mode of inheritance. Your discussion should focus on how the disease is passed on from parent to offspring.
- Are there specific genes that have been identified in the development of this disease? If so, what are they?
- Discuss any available treatments used for the disease or to manage its symptoms.
- Address any lifestyle changes or preventative efforts that may reduce the development of the disease or may help to manage the symptoms of the disease.
- If a family member is diagnosed with this disease or is identified as a carrier of the gene that causes the disease, what steps could they take to reduce the likelihood that their children may inherit the disease?
Part II: Purdue Global Library Search
Finally, visit the Purdue Global Library by clicking on My Studies and then selecting the “Library” link on the Campus homepage. You may also access the Library Resources for SC235 by clicking on the following link: https://library.purdueglobal.edu/SC235. Note that you have to be logged into your PG account in order to access the PG Library.
For this part of the assignment, you will research whether there is a gene therapy available or being evaluated for your selected disorder. Answer the following questions:
- Search for the disease/trait you selected in Part I of this assignment by using the “Search the Library” bar. List the search term(s) you used. How many results did you get?
- Use a combination of search terms. List the search terms you used. Which method resulted in the most accurate results for your research?
- What is the difference between this Purdue Global Library search and a search on a search engine (e.g., Google)?
- Which search is more appropriate for academic research? Why?
- Select two credible sources from your Purdue Global Library search. Based on your PG Library research, is there a gene therapy available or being evaluated to treat your selected disorder? If so, are there any ethical implications related to the use of this therapy/treatment?
- Include the sources from your PG Library search in your references page.