Operating System Environments
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the following sections in your textbook: 1.1 to 1.11 and 1.13 in Chapter 1: Introduction, and sections 2.1 to 2.5 and 2.11 in Chapter 2: Operating System Structures. In addition, answer the following exercises: 1.1, 1.6, 1.11, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.7. Solutions to the Practice Exercises can be accessed via the textbook: Chapter 1 and Chapter 2.
As the field of computing has evolved, various types of computing solutions have emerged. Each computing environment is defined by the way its computer systems interface with other systems and the services that its operating systems provide to its users and programs.
To complete this assignment, compare the operating system requirements for different computing environments. Choose three of the following computing environments to describe:
- Traditional computing
- Mobile computing
- Distributed systems
- Client-server computing
- Peer-to-peer computing
- Cloud computing
- Real-time embedded systems
In a written paper, address the following operating system requirements for each chosen computing environment:
- Describe the unique resource allocation needs of each environment.
- Describe the challenges of designing for each environment.
- Give examples of usage scenarios where each environment would be most advantageous.
You will need to reference your textbook and research a minimum of three additional credible resources to support your statements.
The Operating Systems Environment paper
- Must be a minimum of 600 words in length (not including title page, references page, or tables/diagrams) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three additional credible sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.